Search This Blog

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Changing Parking Habits

Matt Richtel discusses, in a recent New York Times article, how local governments in cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco are using installed sensors on parking meters to keep track of open street parking spaces. By doing so, citizens can use a smart phone app to save time, lessen traffic and reduce stress.

Like one of my previous articles, which highlights how technology is changing the way people dine, Richtel's article highlights how technology is changing the way people park. If these current projects are successful they could be adopted by cities around the world, solidifying a change in behavior and quickening its spread.

The only issue with this app is that it requires the use of a mobile device while driving. Consequently, for safe usage, drivers would need to have a passenger or pull over on the road.

1 comment:

  1. I think that is an interesting idea, but I also believe it is more of a band-aid than an actual fix. Nevertheless, it would be interesting to see how much of an actual effect such a system would have on parking in the city. Though many people have smartphones, I'm not sure if enough people have them that such a system would be incredibly effective.
    I think the real fix would be instituting legitimate public transport options or placing large public parking structures throughout the city. When I say large public structures I have the automated structures that move cars like in a robotic vending machine. It's horrible trying to park in populated areas of town and I hate it. Parking costs are obscene, and it would be incredible if these structures offered free parking, at least for a couple hours. I doubt it's very realistic, but it would be nice nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete